Young lady on holiday visa picking fruit

What is a Working Holiday Visa?

Capsicum rural farm picker

Working Holiday Visa (subclass 417)

The Working Holiday visa (subclass 417) is a temporary visa for young people who want to holiday and work in Australia for up to a year. It is a temporary visa that encourages cultural exchange and closer ties between Australia and eligible countries.

This visa allows you to:

  • stay in Australia for up to 12 months
  • work in Australia, generally for up to six months with each employer
  • study for up to four months
  • leave and re-enter Australia any number of times while the visa is valid


  • are at least 18 but not yet 31 years of age
  • do not have a dependent child accompanying you at any time during your stay in Australia
  • have a passport from an eligible country
  • If you apply in Australia, you must be in Australia when the visa is granted. If you apply outside Australia, you must be outside Australia when the visa is granted

Getting a 2nd year visa extension is a great way to stay longer in Australia! If you have spent 3 calendar months (or a total of 88 days on and off), working in designated regional parts of Australia doing what the Immigration Department classify ‘Specified Work’, then you could be eligible to apply for an extra year Down Under.

To apply for a second Working Holiday (Temporary) visa (subclass 417), you must:

  • have complied with all the conditions on your first Working Holiday visa
  • have not previously held more than one Working Holiday visa
  • have completed three months of specified work in regional Australia while on your first Working Holiday visa

Young lady on holiday visa picking fruit






What is specified work:

Plant and animal cultivation

  • cultivating or propagating plants, fungi or their products or parts
  • general maintenance crop work
  • harvesting and/or packing fruit and vegetable crops
  • immediate processing of animal products including shearing, butchery in an abattoir, packing and tanning. Note: Secondary processing of animal products, such as small goods processing and retail butchery is not eligible
  • immediate processing of plant products
  • maintaining animals for the purpose of selling them or their bodily produce, including natural increase
  • manufacturing dairy produce from raw material
  • pruning and trimming vines and trees

Fishing and pearling

  • conducting operations relating directly to taking or catching fish and other aquatic species
  • conducting operations relating directly to taking or culturing pearls or pearl shell

Tree farming and felling

  • felling trees in a plantation or forest
  • planting or tending trees in a plantation or forest that are intended to be felled
  • transporting trees or parts of trees that were felled in a plantation or forest to the place where they are first to be milled or processed or from which they are to be transported to the place where they are to be milled or processed


  • coal mining
  • oil and gas extraction
  • metal ore mining
  • non-metallic mineral mining and quarrying
  • exploration and other mining support services


  • building construction
  • heavy and civil engineering construction
  • construction services









How do I calculate my specified work:

  • ‘Three months’ means three ‘calendar’ months or 88 days. Work can be in one block with one business, or in separate blocks with one business or a number of businesses. Blocks of work may be in different kinds of specified work
  • Full time workers may include weekends in calculating the number of days worked
  • Applicants who work part time or on a casual basis can only count the full days actually worked. The shortest period that can be counted is one day of full time work (for any given industry)
  • Full time workers can count sick days only during periods where they were in paid employment and entitled to sick leave or covered by a workers compensation scheme. In these situations, supporting evidence must be provided by the employer
  • Applicants who were prevented from obtaining employment because of injury or seasonal circumstances cannot count any time they were unable to work towards the three month period. For example: Cyclones interrupting harvest activities

Providing evidence of specified work

  • The Department of Immigration may contact you to confirm you meet the specified work requirement, and may request evidence that the actual work was undertaken in regional Australia. Acceptable evidence of specified work (completed while on your first Working Holiday visa) includes either:
  • original or certified copies of payslips, group certificates, payment summaries, tax returns or employer references

How to Apply

  • If you apply online and provide a valid email address, you can minimise delays in the processing of your application – Online Application for a Working Holiday visa.
  • You can also lodge your application by post or in person
    • If you cannot apply online, use the following form: Form 1150 Application for a Working Holiday visa
    • Lodge your paper application at the Cairns office in Queensland – attention Cairns Second Working Holiday Centre. Note: You can lodge this application by post only

Prepare your documents

  • You need to provide documents to prove the claims you make in the application. The documents are listed in the Document checklist
  • Some documents could take some time to obtain. You should have them ready when you lodge the application to reduce any delays in processing
  • You must provide all relevant documents and pay the visa application charge by credit card when you apply

  • You should provide an email address that can be used to communicate with you about your application

How long you can stay in Australia if you are granted a second working holiday visa?

  • If you are in Australia, but did not hold a first Working Holiday visa: – You can remain in Australia for 12 months from the date your second Working Holiday visa is granted If you are outside Australia when you apply, you can travel to Australia at any time in the 12 months from the date your second Working Holiday visa is granted (this cannot be extended or deferred), or you can stay in Australia for 12 months from the date you first enter the country on your second Working Holiday visa. Your 12 month stay period starts when you enter Australia


Email enquiry form: Working Holiday Maker Application Enquiry Form


casual workers, visa